11 Egg Recipes Like You've Never Had
It's hard to go wrong with incredible edible eggs, given their impressive protein and nutrient content. That is, unless you eat the same old egg dish every single time (yawn). Snap out of your scrambled rut with these 11 deliciously creative egg recipes.
The Perfect Croque Madame
PREP TIME:10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes / SERVINGS: 2
2 tsp olive oil
1 sm onion, thinly sliced
½ bunch lacinato kale, stems and large ribs removed and leaves chopped (about 2 c)
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of nutmeg
4 thin slices whole wheat sourdough bread
2 oz Gruyère, finely shredded (about ¾ c)
2 oz lean, low-sodium deli-sliced ham
2 lg eggs
1. HEAToil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and very soft, 7 to 8 minutes, making sure onion does not burn. Add kale, cayenne, nutmeg, and 3 Tbsp water. Cook until kale is tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. ARRANGEbread in even layer on clean work surface. Sprinkle each of 2 slices with about ½ oz of the cheese. Top each with half of the ham, half of the kale-onion mixture, and another ½ oz of the cheese. Sandwich with remaining bread.
3. HEATlarge nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add sandwiches and grill until golden and cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board.
4. WIPEskillet with paper towel, coat with more cooking spray, and cook eggs to desired doneness. Top each sandwich with a fried egg and serve.
NUTRITION(per serving) 486 cal, 29 g pro, 41 g carb, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugars, 21.5 g fat, 7.5 g sat fat, 726 mg sodium
Sweet Potato and Pea Frittata
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 33 minutes / SERVINGS: 4
12 oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ c fat-free milk
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
3 slices reduced-sodium center-cut bacon, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped, about 1 cup
¼ tsp dried thyme
1 c frozen peas
1. PREHEAToven to 500ºF. Place the sweet potato in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 8 minutes; drain. In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper.
2. COOKthe bacon in an ovenproof 10" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until starting to crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. (If the skillet handle is not ovenproof, wrap it in heavy-duty foil.) Add the onion and thyme and cook until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook until thawed, 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato and cook 1 minute longer. Pour in the egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, without stirring, until almost set. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until set and browned, about 5 minutes.
NUTRITION(per serving) 248 cal, 15 g pro, 30 g carb, 5 g fiber, 13 g sugars, 8 g fat, 2.5 g sat fat, 389 mg sodium
Bell Pepper Frittata
Mexican Deviled Eggs
PREP TIME: 15 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes /SERVINGS:8
6 eggs, hard-cooked
2 Tbsp light mayonnaise
¼ tsp chili powder + more for garnish
1 scallion, finely sliced
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1. SHELLthe eggs. Place 2 eggs in a shallow bowl. Cut the remaining 4 eggs into halves lengthwise. Remove the yolks and add to the eggs in the bowl. With a fork or pastry blender, mash the eggs and yolks in the bowl. Add the mayo and ¼ teaspoon chili powder. Stir to mix.
2. PLACEthe egg white halves on a plate, hollow side up. Dollop the yolk mixture into the hollows. Scatter the scallion and cilantro on top. Dust the plate with chili powder.
NUTRITION(per serving) 66 cal, 4.5 g pro, 1.5 g carb, .1 g fiber, 0 g sugars, 4.5 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 80 mg sodium
PREP TIME:10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes / SERVINGS: 4
3 tsp olive oil
1 lg yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 lg beefsteak tomato, sliced into 4 rounds
3 oz shredded smoked mozzarella
4 slices reduced-sodium ham (about 4 oz), sliced into strips
4 lg eggs
1. HEAToven to 400°F. Heat 2 tsp of the oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, thyme, and ½ tsp kosher salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer onion to bowl.
2. COATlightly sheet pan with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in even layer and top with cheese and onion. Bake until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. MEANWHILE, heat remaining 1 tsp oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes.
4. POACHor fry eggs. Top each tomato slice with ham and an egg before serving. Season with additional thyme, if desired.
NUTRITION(per serving) 232 cal, 18 g pro, 5.5 g carb, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 15 g fat, 5.5 g sat fat, 773 mg sodium
Pickled Red-Beet Eggs
These pickled eggs are a classic Pennsylvania Dutch delicacy. Add more Amish flavor to your kitchen with .
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 48 minutes / SERVINGS: 8
6 red beets, trimmed (about 2 lb trimmed)
8 c water
1 c apple cider vinegar
½ c sugar
6 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
½ tsp salt
8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 shallot, chopped (optional)
1. ADDbeets and water to large pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove beets and let cool, about 10 minutes.
2. TRANSFER4 cups of the cooked red beet juice to a saucepan and add vinegar, sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick, and salt. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
3. COMBINEeggs, red beet liquid mixture, and shallot (if using) in large bowl. Slip skins off cooled beets. Slice beets and add to bowl.
4. CHILLovernight. By the next day the eggs will be a gorgeous magenta color.
NUTRITION(per serving) 159 cal, 7 g pro, 19 g carb, 1.5 g fiber, 17.5 g sugars, 5.5 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 264 mg sodium
Zesty Egg Wrap
Slimming Veggie Omelet Squares
PREP TIME: 20 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, 15 minutes / SERVINGS: 6
1 med sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½"-thick wedges
3 sm carrots, halved crosswise then twice lengthwise
1 med onion, halved and sliced ¼" thick
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbsp roughly chopped parsley
8 lg eggs
½ c 2% plain Greek-style yogurt
½ c whole milk
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
4 c arugula
1. HEAToven to 400°F.
2. PLACEsweet potato, carrots, and onion in 8" x 8" baking pan. Toss with oil and thyme and season with ¼ tsp each kosher salt and black pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Toss with parsley and arrange in even layer in pan.
3. WHISKeggs, yogurt, and milk in medium bowl. Pour over vegetables and top with goat cheese and Parmesan. Bake until puffed and set, about 20 minutes.
4. REMOVEfrom oven and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving with arugula.
NUTRITION(per serving) 228 cal, 14.5 g pro, 13 g carb, 2.5 g fiber, 5 g sugars, 13 g fat, 5 g sat fat, 341 mg sodium
Asparagus with Eggs & Parmesan
PREP TIME: 3 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 18 minutes / SERVINGS: 4
1 bunch asparagus
4 lg eggs
2 Tbsp shaved Parmesan
1. SPREADasparagus in oiled dish. Bake at 425°F until crisp-tender, 15 min.
2. CRACKeggs over top and sprinkle with pepper. Bake until whites are set and yolks reach desired doneness, 10 min.
3. TOPwith shaved Parmesan. (Got more asparagus? Try one of these 8 tasty asparagus recipes.)
NUTRITION(per serving) 94 cal, 8.5 g pro, 2.5 g carb, 1 g fiber, 1.5 g sugars, 6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 110 mg sodium
Scrambled Egg Enchiladas with Black Bean Sauce
For more delicious baked breakfasts, check out 7 Breakfast Casseroles You Can Make In Your Slow Cooker.
PREP TIME:13 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes / SERVINGS:6
2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
½ sm onion, sliced ¼" thick
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can (15 oz) reduced-sodium black beans, with liquid
1 c water
1 canned chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1½ tsp salt, divided
6 corn tortillas (7" to 8" size)
4 scallions, thinly sliced
7 lg eggs
3 oz neufchatel cheese (reduced-fat cream cheese), cubed
⅔ shredded Mexican cheddar cheese (about 3 oz)
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1. HEAToven to 400°F.
2. WARM1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Cook until golden, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
3. SCOOPinto blender, leaving oil. Set pan aside. Puree with beans, water, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until smooth. Season with more salt, if desired.
4. LAYtortillas on baking sheet. Coat both sides lightly with oil. Stack in twos. Bake until pliable, about 3 minutes. Remove, stack, and keep warm.
5. RETURNskillet to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and scallions. Cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. WHISKeggs and ¾ teaspoon salt. Add to pan and stir every few seconds until eggs barely set. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese.
7. PUT½ cup sauce in 11" x 7" baking dish. Fill tortillas with eggs, roll up, and put in dish. Pour rest of sauce over enchiladas, completely covering. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until hot, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
NUTRITION(per serving) 325 cal, 16.5 g pro, 27 g carb, 5.5 g fiber, 4 g sugars, 18.5 g fat, 7 g sat fat, 962 mg sodium
Open-Faced Broiled Egg, Spinach, And Tomato Sandwich
PREP TIME:10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes / SERVINGS: 1
½ whole wheat English muffin
¼ c fresh spinach, cooked and squeezed dry (about 4 oz)
1 slice tomato
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced width-wise
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
Salt-free seasoning blend
1. SETthe muffin half on a toaster oven pan or double sheet of foil. Top with the spinach and tomato. Lay on the egg slices in an overlapping spiral. Dollop on the mayonnaise and swirl slightly to partially cover the egg slices. Sprinkle on seasoning to taste.
2. PLACEunder the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully, until the mayonnaise is lightly browned.
NUTRITION(per serving) 213 cal, 11 g pro, 19 g carb, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugars, 11.5 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 390 mg sodium
Flat Green Chile and Goat Cheese Omelet
PREP TIME: 5 minutes /TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes / SERVINGS: 2
2 or more green chiles
1 Tbsp butter, plus extra for the skillet
1 onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp dried Mexican oregano or 2 tsps chopped fresh oregano, plus extra for garnish (optional)
4 lg eggs
½ tsp sea salt
¼ c fresh goat cheese (more or less as desired)
Whole-wheat tortillas (optional)
1. PREHEATthe broiler.
2. ROASTthe chiles right in the flame of a grill or gas burner (or as close as possible to a broiler flame) until the skins are bubbly and charred. Put them in a bowl, cover with a plate, and set aside to let them steam for about 10 minutes.
3. SLIPthe skins off, cut off the stem end, and push out the seeds using the flat side of a knife. Tear or cut the chiles into strips.
4. HEATthe butter in an 8-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and, if desired, the oregano. Stir and cook gently with the chile strips (if they're still firm) until the onion has softened, about 12 minutes. Remove the chiles and onion from the skillet to let cool slightly.
5. BEATthe eggs with the sea salt. Add the slightly cooled chiles and onion into the eggs. If desired, add a bit more oregano. The skillet shouldn't need more butter, but if it seems dry, add about a teaspoon and swirl it around the skillet. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and cook over medium-low heat. As the eggs begin to set around the edges, lift them up with the tip of the spatula and let the wet egg flow underneath. Repeat this process until you can't do so easily any longer; then dab the goat cheese over the top.
6. SLIDEthe pan under the broiler once the eggs seem fairly well set, so that the top can finish cooking and become golden. Slide the omelet onto a serving plate, and, if desired, dust with extra fresh oregano and serve with warm whole-wheat tortillas.
NUTRITION(per serving) 317 cal, 19 g pro, 14 g carb, 2 g fiber, 7.5 g sugars, 21.5 g fat, 10.5 g sat fat, 867 mg sodium
Sausage, Egg, And Vegetable Casserole
PREP TIME: 15 minutes / TOTAL TIME:1 hour, 28 minutes / SERVINGS: 6
1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed and meat cut into 1" pieces
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ tsp olive oil
½ sm head (4 oz total) escarole, chopped
2 zucchini (8 oz), thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 sm red onion, thinly sliced
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
7 lg eggs, at room temperature
½ c 2% milk, at room temperature
¼ c (1 oz) grated Parmesan
1. PREHEATthe oven to 350°F. Coat an 8" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray.
2. COOKthe sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until half-cooked, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread over the bottom of the prepared dish. Discard the fat in the skillet. Pour the oil into the same skillet and stir in the escarole, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of the black pepper.
3. REDUCEheat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the liquid evaporates, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and arrange over the sausage.
4. MEANWHILE, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cheese, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Pour over the vegetables. Bake until the eggs are set, 40 to 45 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.
Video: 10 Creative Recipes Using Just An Egg
How to Reuse Dead Flowers
3 Ways to Wear a Scarf
6 Things That Happen When You Stop Eating Meat
Chocolate Chip Scones
Cinnamon-Crusted Apple Walnut Raisin Pie
I Tested This Makeup-Setting Spray For A Week—Heres What Happened
How the Queen Went to Extreme Lengths to Shield Her Grandsons After Dianas Death
What Is a Staph Infection
Poblano Portabella Mushroom Tacos
Glam DIY Leather Tee Sleeves
How to Transport a Bedridden Person
Does Your Teen Have an Eating Disorder
V8 Supercars Driver David Reynolds Fined 25,000 For Sexist Comments Against Female Team
Private White V.C. Announces Duke Street Flagship