Draniki - a tasty and affordable potato dish
From the potato you can cook a lot of delicious and hearty dishes. And one of them is pancakes. And what is it and how to cook such a dish?
What is a pancake?
Potato pancakes are essentially potato pancakes. Such a dish is considered traditional Belarusian, but it is also found in cuisines of other countries of the world.
For example, in Ukraine, pancakes are called potato pancakes or pancakes, in Israel - latkes, in Sweden - ragmunks (which means “bristly monk”), in the Czech Republic - bramborokas, in America - khashbraunami, and in Lithuania this dish is called potato pancakes. By the way, the word pancakes from Old Russian translates as "rub, tear," so we can assume that the name contains the whole essence of the dish.
A bit of history
It is not known exactly when and where for the first time they began to use pancakes exactly in the form in which we know them. After all, they began to cultivate potatoes for a long time, and, probably, a variety of dishes were prepared from it.So, the first mentions of pancakes are dated in 1830.
And some believe that they appeared under the influence of German cuisine. But if Belarus is still considered the birthplace of the dish, then there was originally potato grating not on a grater (then there was simply no curling), but on the board.
In those days, ate potato pancakes for breakfast. There was also such a tradition: before the main meal, it was necessary to eat a slice of black bread. Pancakes are always eaten only hot with sour cream, lard, or butter.
Today, there are many different recipes for pancakes, but in its original form, this dish consisted of only a few ingredients. We list the ingredients that are used most often and in most cases:
- Potatoes. You should tell about it separately, because it is the main and most important ingredient. From his choice depends on the taste of the finished dish. It is worth choosing varieties with high starch content, since if it is not enough, the pancakes will not be juicy and soft or will burn in the process of frying. It is better not to use new potatoes, there is little starch in it.
- Eggs play the role of a binding element, so many add them too.Usually on 4-5 potatoes there is 1 egg.
- Bow. Onion, first, makes the draniki more juicy and gives them a pleasant taste. Secondly, onion juice protects the potatoes from darkening and allows the potato mass to be stored longer.
- Flour or starch. If you are unable to find starchy potatoes, then add starch during the cooking process. It can be replaced with wheat or corn flour.
- Instead of onions, some use kefir, which also prevents darkening.
- Salt and pepper are added to taste. As for other seasonings, they are traditionally not used. But you can add garlic or greens of dill or parsley.
- If you like to experiment in the kitchen, you can make pancakes with a filling or just mix potatoes with vegetables or minced meat.
How to cook?
How to cook delicious pancakes? Need to remember some rules. Here are the main stages of cooking:
- First clean and wash the potatoes.
- Now we need to start grinding. How to grate potatoes? It all depends on your preferences and tastes, as well as on what kind of pancakes you want to end up with. If you plan to cook a gentle and uniform pancakes, then use a small fighting grater.If you want the pancakes to be fried and crunchy, then grate the potatoes on a medium or even coarse grater. If you have a little time, then for grinding you can use a blender or a meat grinder.
- Then you need to squeeze out the extra juice from the potatoes. In general, you can not do this, as the juice also gives the dish a special taste. By the way, the mass with the juice is called a sack. There is also a mass of bladed (in this case, the juice is squeezed out) and boiled. In the latter case, the potatoes are first boiled, and then crushed in boiled form.
- Now mix the potato mass with the egg, add the onion or other ingredients, and also salt and pepper. Knead the dough. By consistency, it will resemble not too thick sour cream.
- Now proceed to cooking. It is best to fry the pancakes, in this form they will be crispy. But you can also use an oven, a multivark and even a steamer. By the way, baked fat or butter is best suited for frying, but you can also use regular vegetable (better refined).
We offer you a few recipes for pancakes.
The recipe is the first
These are the easiest potato pancakes. Ingredients for cooking:
- 3 large potatoes;
- 1 small onion;
- 1 egg;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel potatoes and grate them. If necessary, squeeze out excess juice.
- Peel the onions and finely chop or grate or chop in a blender.
- Mix potatoes and onions, add the egg, salt and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Heat oil or fat in a pan.
- Spoon the mass into a heated frying pan, leaving free space between the pancakes (at least 1 centimeter) so that they do not stick together.
- Fry the pancakes to golden color on each side.
If you can’t imagine your life without meat, then cook meat pancakes. Here's what you need:
- 100 grams of pork;
- 100 grams of beef;
- 700 grams of potatoes;
- 1 onion;
- 3 tablespoons kefir;
- 1 egg;
- 3 bunches of dill;
- pepper and salt to taste.
- Rinse the meat, clean the veins and pass through a meat grinder. You can immediately pass through a meat grinder and peeled onions.
- Peel potatoes and rub on a medium grater. Squeeze out the extra juice and mix the potato mass with kefir and egg.
- Chop the dill with a knife, pre-rinse and dry.
- Add the minced meat, chopped dill, pepper and salt. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Fry the pancakes in butter.
Very tasty pancakes with mushrooms. The list of ingredients is as follows:
- 600 grams of potatoes;
- 300 grams of fresh champignons;
- 2 eggs;
- 2 onions;
- 2 tablespoons of flour;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 200 grams of sour cream;
- 2-3 cloves of garlic;
- dill greens;
How to cook? Everything is very simple:
- For a start, get some mushrooms. Wash them well and cut them into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the mushrooms.
- Now grate the previously peeled potatoes on a fine grater.
- Peel the onions and finely chop it or chop it in a meat grinder or blender.
- Combine the potato mixture with mushrooms and onions, add flour, eggs, pepper and salt. Mix everything well.
- Spread the mass in the pan, fry the pancakes on each side for 4-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Now prepare the sauce. To do this, peel the garlic and rub it on a fine grater, chop the dill with a knife (do not forget to wash it).Add the dill with garlic in sour cream, salt and mix everything.
- Serve hot pancakes with sauce.
Some useful tips on the preparation of pancakes:
- If you decide to cook pancakes with a filling, then make the filling in advance, it must be fully prepared. So, if you use raw mushrooms, they will not be fried.
- Begin to fry pancakes immediately after preparing the dough. Grated potatoes are not stored even in the fridge.
- Do not regret oil. It should cover half a pancake. If the butter is low, the pancakes will not be crispy and golden.
- To remove excess oil after cooking, blot the pancakes with paper napkins.
- Cook the pancakes at one time, as in the heated form they will not be so tasty. It is better to serve such a dish directly from a frying pan.
Now you know everything about the preparation of pancakes. Rejoice your household and guests with this simple but delicious dish!
How to treat nail foot fungus
The trend thing of the season in 30 minutes: looks unique
How to overcome pain
Crafts for Mother's Day from foamiran. Flowers in a pot
How to occupy children at home
Cutlet under a fur coat
How to connect the amplifier
How to open barbecue